Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Disappearing Act

I was going to post an old picture just for fun. Since it's October, I went into my files to look for a picture from last October.

Here's my birthday, October 30th in 2010.


All we could manage was an evening out for dinner and a movie. I was in the midst of cramming two months worth of reading, papers, and finals into a couple weeks. Oh, and we were burying ourselves in paperwork for our move. Not a stressful time in our lives at all, yeah.


I remembered that we had been together for my birthday the year before too, and had an epiphany. It's a record for celebrating things together! Since we've been long distance for so long and he continues to deploy occasionally, our record for celebrating things together is slim to none. Maybe 2 times tops, for Christmas, anniversaries, anything.

Jeff's been traveling and will continue to travel for short periods of time for work, but he should (add a mile of salt to be safe with the military) still be home for my birthday in two weeks. That makes three years in a row, otherwise known as our new record, of spending a special day in person together!


Anyways, that's not the point of this post.

I got excited and went to look up the picture from 2009 of us together. I could see it perfectly. We had gone to Olive Garden, then came home and watched a movie while I drank wine and annoyed my cats with pictures. I wore one of my favorite shirts and we looked cute.

....

It is nowhere to be found on my external hard drive!! Gr. I started looking deeper and realized I have shockingly few to none pictures in any of my 2009 files past August. Um, I took at least some pictures in that time period. I even still have some on FB. Where are those pictures?! In the past 2 years, I've gone through 3 computers and one external hard drive. It pains me a little to think of how many pictures I've lost along the way. One computer was slowly killing itself, so I upgraded to a laptop. When my husband's laptop crashed, we bought a new laptop. Due to purely selfish reasons (I liked the look of the new Sony Vaio better than the one I already owned), he got my laptop and I took the new one. Which is fine, but the file transfers apparently were not successful during one of those moves.

I'm bummed. I deleted a ton of old pictures off Facebook a long time ago. I'm about to go digging through my Photobucket accounts and old blogs to see if I can dig up some of those pictures, because I don't want to admit that I might have lost them forever! We wiped Jeff's laptop before I passed it over, and the slowly dying desktop is currently sitting in pieces in the office closet, so that thing isn't getting turned on anytime soon. Bummed!

So, there's your flashback and a very sad story. Not exactly a life-changing or day-ruining story, but enough to get me mildly upset that I don't have those pictures anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...