Saturday, May 19, 2012

Aomori Big Buddha

I have about a million pictures from my parents' recent visit. I'm trying to break it up so you can look through our trip without having picture overkill. One place I definitely did some picture overkill was the Big Buddha in Aomori.

Aomori is the capital of our prefecture. It's a big city about two hours away. While there are any number of things you could do, one of my "must-sees" was the Big Buddha. It's just what it sounds like, a giant statue of Buddha. It's in this gorgeous hilly, forested spot just outside the main city streets with a couple of shrines and pegodas. It's beautiful and peaceful.





I cannot get enough of this statue. It's so beautiful.


It's huge. And it looked great with the blossoming cherry trees behind it.



It had these cute little statues at the entrance. I don't know very much about Buddhism, but they were covered in yen coins. Maybe an offering to the gods?


The spot had a lot more than just the Big Buddha, but I still need to dig through those pictures. So for today you just get the big attraction. Pretty gorgeous, though, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...