Monday, May 14, 2012

Misawa Aviation and Science Museum

There's an aviation museum right next to base. I see it every day on my way to work, but we haven't gone yet. We both figured it would be a dinky little museum with one or two aircrafts and some signs about northern Japan.

We took my parents anyway.





We were all pleasantly surprised.


The star of this museum is a model of Miss Veedol, the first plane to fly nonstop across the Pacific.


It also featured a passenger plane and helicopter, as well as all sorts of pieces and parts on display.




They also had model planes spanning from present back to the start of aviations. It was a wall of cases filled with models. So cool to see.




The best part, though, was definitely all the hands-on displays. We could fly mini-Miss Veedols, we could jump in slow motion, we could experiment with water pressure, and many more activities. It kept the children in all of us entertained for a long time.



We raced. Jeff won. I couldn't figure out how to turn my plane around...


This picture cracks me up. It measured how fast you could sprint. Jeff and my dad both doubled my speed. I blamed it on my short legs.


Slow motion jumping! Cameras were angled all around so you could get a good luck at yourself jumping. Surprise - none of us look all that good jumping!




Ready for my favorite?


Oh my, it makes me laugh. I saw the lifesize toy and told Jeff to "Han Solo it!". He of course immediately understood what I meant. We each tried, but I'll save you the more graphic pictures...I'm sure the Japanese loved seeing our boobs, butts, and middle fingers on display!

It was a fun day for all of us. And there's more! We were able to practice our flying skills outside. More on that later.



1 comment:

  1. I would like to be in contact with Misawa museum for asking some photos of Gasuden Koken Long Range monoplane replica since I have to make an article on a magazine destined to model aircraft.
    I have a report of Tokyo Imperial University on this monoplane and I am ready to make a gift to the museum.I tried to send an e-mail to info@kokukagaku.jp but appartently my e-mails are refused. May you help me. Regards. Franco Bugada

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...