Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Framed Out

In the midst of all the living room and office loving, I felt the need to spruce up the bedroom too. It didn't need much. We recently bought a dresser and TV, and that gave us all the storage we needed for clothes and books. I don't put much else in the bedroom since we mainly just sleep there. But there was one little nagging "to-do" left in that room.





About two years ago, I bought some posters on clearance for our bedroom. I loved the vintage looking ship pictures and the price tag, less than $5 each. I've wanted to frame them ever since, but just haven't.

I finally bought some basic black frames to put the posters in. Simple project, right?


Wrong.


I unwrapped one frame and pulled off the cardboard to cut the poster to the right size. The glass popped out and fell, shattering all over my freshly vacuumed carpet. Jeff was gaming a few feet away and just rolled his eyes. I sat in shock for a few minutes. It was only opened about 30 seconds and I already broke it?! I kept saying " I can't believe I just did that" and Jeff kept saying " I can". I picked up all the glass and re-vaccuumed. Jeff asked if I was going to go back out for another frame. I had just walked in the door!

I thought for a minute about doing what I had done with my living room wall collage, and just forgoing glass. In the living room, I did that to avoid the glare from the windows. But I didn't want the posters to be unprotected. I was happy with how well they've stayed with 2 years of living behind their belts, I didn't want to push it. And I really didn't want to buy another frame!

Then I remembered I had some Modge Podge. I glued the print to the cardboard back of the frames. Then painted a thin layer over the poster, effectively sealing it away from dirt and dust and everything else. Once dry, I put the frames back on. If I had more, I probably would've put a couple more coats over the print and left some brush strokes like a real painting. But I was low on supplies and it worked.



This method had some upsides.

1. I wasn't all that keen on putting glass over our heads in the first place. Earthquakes and walls shaking and all that.
2. I didn't have to buy another frame.
3. Without the glass, the frames were light enough to forgo nails and use Command strips, keeping the walls free of holes.


They turned out just fine. I was impatient and quick with putting the prints down, so there's some bubbling. Not enough to look terrible, or even really see unless you get the right angle. But I love the black frames above the bed and how they just look more complete than regular posters on the walls.

One small change, one more time consuming than expected project, and now we're pretty much done with the bedroom. There are lots of little things I'd love but definitely don't need (matching table lamps, a new comforter, more pillows for example), but for now we have room for everything we need in the bedroom and it's cozy.


Although I'm pretty sure I'm going to fiddle with those three frames soon... at least if I keep it inexpensive I only get eye rolls from Jeff when I go from room to room fiddling with everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...