Friday, February 18, 2011

In The Works - Wall Collage?

Since we moved in and unpacked, all my wall decorations, picture frames, candles, and misc. decorating items have been shoved into a closet and ignored. First I had to get everything unpacked and all the empty boxes outta here!

We have a lot less wall space here than in our last place, and I don't want to throw things up randomly then change my mind a week later. I've been trying to figure out how I want to decorate our living/dining/kitchen area (I guess that's called a great room?). In our old place, it was split into almost 3 rooms. Here, it's one big long space and I really only have one wall to work with. Above the entertainment center is maybe 3 or 4ft. of empty space. Not a lot of wiggle room, especially when things are so packed underneath with movies and entertainment goodies.



To the left of all the furniture is one big wall of windows.



And behind me, in the kitchen, there's tile as far as the eye can see.



So I'm left with one big long wall. We have a lot of small pieces -- picture frames, wood plaques, etc. As a matter of luck, most of them are black. So I've decided to do one huge wall collage. Lots of different shapes and sizes grouped together to encompass a huge chunk of that empty wall.

Like this:





(I believe I found both of these pictures at Pottery Barn's website)

Nothing too symmetrical or perfect, but nothing too chaotic.

I've pulled together pieces from all over our old house. Here's some of the pieces:





Counting them up, I have about 25 different sized picture frames, wood plaques, tin signs, ledges, and letters (J & T above). It'll be a huge hassle to organize them and hang them, but I think the end product will be interesting and eye-catching. I hope anyways.

What do you think? Will a wall collage fill up the space nicely?





(By the way, those boxes are history! I'm planning to take some newer pictures, I just keep putting it off.)



I got all excited and told my husband all about my plan. He rolled his eyes and told me I should finish one project before I jump into another one.

Oh yeah... I've been working on this crocheted afghan for a few months now and have yet to finish it. I'm almost done with the squares, maybe 5-10 more. Then I have to arrange them and crochet them into one big comfy blanket. He tells me I should probably finish it before all the snow melts.



So I should get off to my yarn. But after that, it's on to picking out pictures and planning out the collage for our great room!

1 comment:

  1. I think that sounds like a good way to decorate that wall! :)

    Your house is so cute already (even with the boxes in the photo--I can't believe they are gone already? It would take me forever)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...