Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unpacking is a Workout!

I haven't really needed the gym this week - my muscles are screaming from all the box carrying, lifting, squatting, and moving I've been doing. Yikes!

But the wonderful news is that we received our household goods shipment with little damage (a few nicks here and there and a busted corner of a small cabinet which can be mostly fixed with wood glue). Not bad for a trip across the ocean.

We're not done unpacking and organizing, but I wanted to take a break and share some pictures!



We were up bright and early for the movers. The loaner furniture was taken out at 7:30 and the movers were here by 8:00am. I think they were in and out by 9:00am, they're quick! I took pictures of the house before we started digging in, so here's the damage.





The kitchen and living room weren't too bad. Just a few piles. And the bedroom was pretty bare, with just our bed (which I love, love, LOVE having back home with me) and nightstands.

Now the office, on the other hand...





Holy chaos. I couldn't even get to the back boxes, which happened to be kitchen things. (The movers had a little trouble deciphering the boxes' labels, and I had a little trouble deciphering their words, so we did the best we could.)

Jeff came back from work just as they were finishing up, so he helped me dig in right away. He started on the massive movie collection (alphabetizing that thing is a beast of a project) and I started in on the kitchen. Food and movies are our priorities, obviously.





We worked all day long and fell into our wonderfully comfortable bed late that night.


After 2 and a half long days of unpacking and organizing, we're starting to see our house again! The kitchen was the first room done, since cooking was a priority. And it had places ready to put everything. The living/dining room is mostly finished besides any sort of decoration. The bedroom has the bed, but not much else. And the office is less of a disaster.



All the empty boxes were taking over, so I spent this morning packing the paper tightly into the big boxes and flattening the smaller ones. They would be down in the garbage room right now, except someone from Jeff's work might be taking some. I just want them gone!





I'm really liking the way our furniture fits in this apartment. It's cozy, but not too cramped. The wall with the entertainment center is just long enough to fit the DVD's too, which worked out great. We're grateful we bought a small kitchen table, so we have more wiggle room between that and the kitchen.





Look, you can see the floor! This room is still the least done, but I did get the desk built yesterday and then Jeff built the bookshelves when he got home from work. Now I just have to unpack that pile of boxes, which is all books, and alphabetize them. I'm avoiding that headache for the moment ;)

I also have the closets to organize, which I'm also dreading. I HATE putting clothes away, so I'm avoiding that one. Of course, my husband hates laundry just as much as I do so it's not likely he'll take that project on either.

Things are shaping up nicely, though, and we're really happy to have our stuff back. It's nice to cook in my kitchen again, and relax on our couch. Jeff's enjoying gaming on his TV again, and I'm in heaven as soon as I lay down on our bed.

We're hoping to have the house relatively finished by the weekend, and as long as I keep staying productive (rather than...uh....playing online?), it looks like it'll happen. I'll post pictures of the whole house once we get it relatively finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...