Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chocolate!

I know I said I was going to be scarce, but then I went to upload a picture I took and discovered 50 more on my camera. How'd that happen?

Anyways.

Did you know my husband is addicted to sweets? He can't function more than a few days without some sugar in his blood at bedtime. Did you know I didn't eat very many sweets before I moved in with him? My indulgence used to be things like french fries and chips and dip and loads of soda. Then he begged for a sweet every day, and I started enjoying baking. And now I indulge in both. Maybe not the smartest idea!

But who can resist warm-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies?



I consider myself fairly adequate in most food adventures. I can cook some good things from recipes, but I'm no chef. I also don't burn down the kitchen, or even the food for the most part. I generally prefer to bake from a box rather than deal with all the ingredients.

But not with cookies.

My dad taught me fractions by doubling the recipe on the back of the Nestle bag. He let me mix the batter when I was still too young to touch the oven. He taught me that being the baker gives you the freedom to taste your batter. He taught me just how important precise measurements are in baking, even if my patience is tested. He taught me to take cookies out of the oven before they really look done, otherwise they'll turn crunchy. He taught me to make really good chocolate chip cookies.



My husband loves that that was part of my childhood. He practically drools waiting for me to pull them out of the oven.

I found a tip online that cookie batter freezes really well, so I tried it this time. I made a couple dozen, then froze the rest. When we inhaled those, I made a dozen. When we inhaled those, I made the last dozen. It was so easy to pull the dough out of the freezer and let it thaw, then throw it into the oven for fresh, warm, freshly baked deliciousness. No flour mess, no mixer, no time at all!

I wish we didn't eat cookies so quickly in this household so I still had some batter in the freezer. Alas, it's all gone. And finding these pictures on my camera after the fact is depressing. But I do have some coffee flavored ice cream instead, and that is almost as tasty with even less prep work. Works for me after a long day.

Until I have time to make more cookies anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...