Friday, May 27, 2011

Mil-Spouse Friday Fill-In

Another round of milspouse questions! Join the fun at Wife of a Sailor.




1. Do you think civilians, in general, understand the meaning of Memorial Day?

As a whole, probably not. Let's face it, there are a whole lot of people that are just ignorant about a lot of things in this world. But I wouldn't write off just anyone who doesn't have a direct tie to the military. Just because I haven't personally been to a war zone and experienced those things doesn't mean I don't appreciate those who have done those incredible things for us, and my empathy has nothing to do with my husband and his military affiliations. I think it's a different understanding when you're closely connected to the military world, but the awareness and support can come from anywhere.


2. What are your plans for the Memorial Day Weekend?

Relaxing! Grilling, getting out in the sunshine, enjoying some nice weather. Oh, and avoiding any weather hazards from the typhoon that's headed in the direction of Japan. We should only get the tail end, so we're expecting some storms.


3. What skill/talent do you wish you had?

I wish I could be able to walk into a room and make friends with everyone. That easy confidence that makes you approachable and comfortable with perfect strangers. My shyness comes and goes, but it's never easy for me to meet new people and I never feel like I'm making friends with someone I just met. I'm always a little awed by people who can do that so easily and frequently. I want to be socially comfortable!


4. Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

Yeah, I don't really care. Some eggs of some earlier species probably had some weird mutation that turned those eggs into chicken-like creatures, which continued to breed and evolve until the chicken species developed. Woo, science.


5. What is the best thing about your post (base)? The worst?

Hmm. Best is probably the support system built in. There are a ton of recreation activities every weekend; there are a ton of support systems built into the command; there are all sorts of places to go if you need help that will actually help you. I think being overseas is a huge reason behind this, but it's a world away from our last base. The worst is probably the fact that we are Navy on an Air Force base. In an ideal world, the opportunity for both branches to work together and learn together would lead to a more productive base. In reality, there's a lot of politics and favoritism. Not from the commands in general, but from individuals. The Navy and Air Force obviously work differently sometimes, so it gets confusing when things are phrased differently and things are done differently. Some people embrace the diversity, and some people don't, which makes life more frustrating for the rest of us. That's a problem that doesn't bother me daily though. I don't have too many complaints about our current base actually.






Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teri! I haven't been paying attention & just found your blog! Thanks so much for following me - I'm so excited to follow you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...