Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Going Green.

One thing I've always wanted in our home is flowers/plants/greeeen. I never planted or grew anything in Lemoore because our backyard was miniscule with zero sunlight, and inside had two curious cats roaming free. I could have looked up what plants are and aren't toxic to cats, but you know how those things go.

So when summer hit here (yes, I procrastinated right past spring), I jumped at the chance to get some pots and fill them with pretty green things, confident that they wouldn't be terrorized with kitty teeth marks every day.



We went to a local home improvement store and I picked out a plant you can't kill unless you try and some pretty and cheap flowers. I potted them in blue ceramic pots I found on clearance at the BX months ago, and they brighten up the balcony every day.



On another trip, I picked up another sturdy plant to put in our living room, to bring some green inside.


I also bought a starter pack for basil. Mind you, all the directions were in Japanese so I guestimated how to plant the basil. Luckily it's a pretty basic procedure (I had soil, plant food I think, and some seed clusters). I'm seeing little sprouts this week! From what I can understand, full basil is expected in 60 days, so we'll see! I grew basil for about a month in Lemoore before it died from neglect, so this is my second try. We keep calling it "junior", or "baby basil II".





This has absolutely nothing to do with greenery but I had to share.

The BX has sellers from Japan come in with their products for a few weeks at a time. Everything from kanji decorations, fabrics, kimonos, and Japanese crafts. They've had these little wooden dolls up for about two weeks and every time I walk by them, I think I should pick one up. I mentioned that to Jeff today and he made me stop and pick one out. I found a cute little girl in a red kimono that I loved. So now we have our first authentic Japanese craft to add to his small collection from Italy and Germany. I have a handful of things from Southern Japan from previous deployments, but not from up here! She came with a little printout about the craft: Kokeshi.



She looks so pretty and bright up on top of the entertainment center.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...