Monday, July 11, 2011

"Think I'm Just Too White and Nerdy"




Yes, Weird Al Yankovic is amazing. Always has been, probably always will be.


Anyways, to continue my 'syllabus free' dilemma from yesterday.

I decided to count up how many units and individual lessons there were in my Rosetta Stone Japanese Level 1. There are 4 units total, from things like basics to shopping. There are 4 core lessons at about 30 minutes each, then a selection of 5-15 minute lessons on grammar, speaking, reading, etc.

It ends up being 41 lessons in each of the 4 units.

I decided I could handle 10 lessons a week, since the majority are fairly short and would probably only total a few hours a week.

I got super nerdy when I sat down to write a pseudo-syllabus. Picture dates and lessons written up on a Word document. Yes, I'm that kind of nerd.

Anyways, I thought it must be some kind of sign that the schedule I followed will finish on Saturday October 29th, just one short day before my birthday! Coincidence? Maybe, but I figured it was a good end point and dove right in. Now all I have to do is print up my nerdy syllabus (even my husband laughed when he found out what I was doing, then we spent a good chunk of time comparing nerdy tendencies and making fun of each other). Then get crackin' on my Japanese skillz! It's far past time I learned more than the basic "hello" "goodbye" "excuse me" and "thank you".

I'm putting off the literature dilemma for a while longer while I focus on Rosetta Stone. I figured if I piled too much on at once I'd be more likely to dump it all off my plate.

Off to work on my Japanese!

1 comment:

  1. Japan is on our list of possibilities for our next duty station, and if we go there I really want to learn Japanese(and get my kids in on it too) I'd love to know how Rosetta works for you! I think that a syllabus is a great idea, I'm a list maker which is just a short jump to syllabus maker.lol.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...