Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bloomin' Onions

I love green onions. Yellow onions, not so much. But there's no such thing as too much green onion.

The problem is - they die so quickly. I buy them at the beginning of the week and when I go to cook with them on Thursday, they're floppy and sad. Bummer. I read somewhere online that you can take the leftover green onions and stick them in some water and they'll start growing all over again.

Really?!

I haven't had too much success with growing things, but I couldn't resist trying this one. So I took my leftover stalks of green onions and stuck them in a mason jar filled with water.


Jeff gave me an odd look and shook his head, but he does that every time I fiddle with something green. (He's getting a good laugh out of my cactus suddenly dying today. It was green and growing yesterday, and today it's all wilted and brown. Why??)

I don't have a window with direct sunlight to place the onions in, so I put them on my kitchen counter and hoped the daylight would peek in somehow.

After about a week, they're growing!


At first the ends started to brown and crisp, and I figured it was a bust. But then they started to firm back up. And those little roots? They're a-growing!


Clearly that means something is happening, right? God, I need to pick up a gardening and growing for dummies book or something.


I'm not putting too much into this. If it fails, it's green onions that probably would have ended up in the trash anyways. If it works, I can stop spending money on them. I'm cooking an enchilada casserole at the end of this week, so I'm hoping they'll last at least that long!

Oh, and I'm hoping to start gardening something once all this snow finally melts in another month or two...or three? I'm hoping I can tackle some herbs and some normal plants out on our balcony. I think I may need some books or something though... I'm going to continue blaming my failures on my inability to understand what soil/dirt/plant I'm buying since everything is labeled in kanji ---it'll work until we leave Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...