Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Starting the Big List

It's official, I've broken in my Day Zero Project!



54.   Read one hundred and twenty-five books (9/125)

I've read nine books since we last talked:
  1. Nora Roberts - The Next Always 
  2. Diane Haeger - The Secret Bride: In the Court of Henry VIII (In Progress!) 
  3. Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic Ties the Knot 
  4. Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic and Sister
  5.  Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic and Baby 
  6. Nora Roberts - Enchanted 
  7. Nora Roberts - Charmed 
  8. Nora Roberts - Entranced 
  9. Nora Roberts - Captivated

The new Nora Roberts book was okay, but not as good as some of her others. The Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic series is SO funny and cute. The flop movie turned me off, but I'm so glad I gave the books a chance. I've loved every Sophie Kinsella book I've read -- I think I might have even read them all? The Nora Roberts series was cheap for my Kindle. It was a little fantasy, with witches and magic. It was okay, again. Nothing amazing, but plenty good enough to curl up with and forget the world for a while. My favorite kind.




69.   Try ten new slow-cooker recipes (2/10)

 I've been trying so hard to use my slow cooker more. I've got chili on the menu for later in the week. But I've had the hardest time finding good recipes for it that don't come out totally bland.

We tried a BBQ chicken recipe that was just that - BLAND. It was so bad, I didn't even eat it. Fail! But it counts.

Last week I tried a different beef recipe. I have a favorite that I make all the time, and everyone loves. But I wanted something different, so I tried this French Dip Recipe. It was pretty good! I topped the sandwiches with mozzarella and broiled them for a few minutes, and they reminded me of a sub you would pick up at a sandwich shop like Charlie's Subs, which we have on base. Still pretty tasty. I've got half leftover which we'll probably eat later this week.



70.   Try ten restaurants in and around Misawa (2/10)

Since the weather is so full of snow and ice, we've been staying close to home. Which makes adventures hard to tackle, so we've been eating instead.

We tried a local Italian restaurant called Angelo's one weekend.


Excuse the blurry photo. I took a picture of Jeff eating his tortellini, but he was chewing and it's just bad. I ate most of my margherita pizza before I remembered to snap a picture. It was a really good dinner. We both got a salad and delicious crusty garlic bread. Both of our meals were delicious. We'll probably go back sometime in the near future.

We also tried a local fast food place called Sukiya. We've heard about it a lot from our friends but hadn't gone yet. On Saturday I had a craving for yakisoba, but my favorite place had no parking, so we went elsewhere. We tried Sukiya since it had plenty of parking (this little city has NO parking).

It's basically rice bowls of all combinations. Jeff got a basic beef bowl, I got a 3 cheese beef bowl, and we both got miso soup. It was really tasty, although I think I prefer another rice bowl place we tried a while back. I didn't take a picture, but it looks really similar to this. This picture is from the other place I prefer, which I cannot pronounce the name of, and we went there a couple times over the summer. I've been meaning to go back, but you know how that goes.




It doesn't fit neatly into the checklist, but I've started my "Get in Shape to Climb Mount Fuji" challenge. I worked out hard last week and was dying by Friday, and I started it again this week. I'm hoping next month I can make it longer than five minutes on the stair stepper...but I have lost 3lbs. since I've started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...