Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Story Behind This Picture



This is a picture from Jeff's command Christmas party a few weeks ago, taken by their photographer. It makes me smile. We're so unprepared for this picture. While it looks like we both just forgot to smile fully, what's actually happening is this:
They've just handed out Christmas trivia questions. My husband happens to be a trivia know-it-all, and gets seriously competitive with this game. I've had a few drinks and am way more interested in laughing and talking than trying to come up with answers to questions about songs from the '50's. A photographer wanders to our table to start snapping pictures. He takes the other couples' pictures as he weaves around the table. Jeff is still deeply enthralled in trying to come up with answers. I'm watching the photographer circle the table, thinking how nice it will be to get a picture of the two of us all dressed up. Then the photographer points in our direction, asking if we'd like a picture. I nod my head in excitement, but before I even have a chance to get Jeff's attention, the photographer lifts his camera to take the picture. I'm hitting Jeff's arm frantically to get him to look up for the picture. He's absorbed in the trivia challenge and refuses to listen to yet another interruption. I start rambling frantically, because everything is more urgent after a few drinks. He finally looks up and says "what?!" with all the annoyance you could imagine and I see the photographer take this as his cue to snap the picture so I try to get a grin on my face. See Jeff's hand moving in a gesture of impatience? That's not a grin on his face, it's more like a grimace that goes with the thought "why is my wife interrupting this trivia for a silly picture when we could win a prize if I just answered these last three questions before she interrupts again?!?!" I tried to win brownie points after this by going to a nearby table and "borrowing" some answers from friends, but I ended up picking the only answer they got incorrect.

I still like the picture though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...