Friday, April 29, 2011

Mil-Spouse Friday Fill-In

I haven't done one of these in a while, partly because by the time I see them it's already Saturday in these parts! I'm on top of things today, and snagged the questions on Wife of a Sailor's Thursday Preview, because it IS Friday here.

This time difference stuff is tricky.




Okay, on to the questions!

1. Have you and your spouse agreed to live in separate locations (a geographical bachelor tour) knowing that the short-term inconvenience would have long-term benefits for your family? How did it work for you?

Not yet. We have talked about the circumstances where this would be better for us, but they're few and far between. For us, being together is more important than any of the inconveniences of say, living overseas. It hurts my options for starting any careers, it makes life a little more challenging, but being together wins out. That may not always be the case, but it is now.


2. What is your favorite thing about being a MilSpouse?

The opportunity to travel. I would have never gone to California and definitely not to Japan if I hadn't married Jeff and he hadn't been enlisted in the Navy. The experiences and opportunities I had in California changed my life, most specifically my degree and possible career paths, and I can only imagine what I'll come home learning from living in Japan. While we do miss home and the option to buy a home and settle in one place to start a family someday, traveling and living abroad wouldn't be possible for us without the military.


3. If you could still have your spouse/significant other and your family, but take the military life out of it…would you?

This is an oddly worded question. Would I still have my husband if he wasn't in the Navy? Of course I would. I didn't marry him for his enlisted record. Would we take the military out of the equation if we could right this second? No, not right now. We made this decision a few months back, and for us and for our future, it's the smartest move to stay in the military. That may not always be the case, but Teri's husband and the enlisted sailor are two different things; we can drop one without dropping the other.


4. What have your homecoming experiences been like after a year long tour of separation?

We have not gone through year long tours. We've been separated for a year at a time because of distance, but that was when we were dating. Since we've been married, Jeff's deployed for a year total, but in two chunks. The homecoming, as it is for everyone, is a mix of emotions. Elation and excitement that he will finally be back home where he belongs. Frustration and impatience at the adjustment period as you both figure out how to live together again. Lots of new love for the things you forgot he does or says when he was away. And a million other emotions all mixed in.


5. If you have a child(ren) why you chose their name(s)? If not, why you would name your child something?

We don't have kids. We talk occasionally about naming our kids, but we never agree on anything. I have a couple names I love, but they're not "the names" or anything. We've talked about naming kids after someone in our families, but we decided that didn't fit for us. I might become the crazy pregnant lady that has to look up the meaning of every name we debate, but it will probably end up that we pick a name we both can settle on. I don't really think a name has to mean anything before the kid is born; he or she will make it mean something as he or she grows up.



Join the party!

4 comments:

  1. Traveling! That is one of the perks I forgot to add on my list. Although I think Japan far outweighs Alaska I wouldn't be living here if it weren't for the Army. I'm a new follower from the Fill-In :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lydia :)

    I'd love to visit Alaska someday, it always looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about the opportunities with traveling! If you told me 10 years ago I'd live in Mississippi and North Carolina I would have laughed but I learned so much and had awesome opportunities from both places! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you & everyone else about the traveling. However, we really haven't been able to travel over seas any because we have pit bulls. So my traveling has been on state level. Still a nice bonus to a most days frustrating life.

    -Jessica
    http://mommiesblog2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...