Saturday, April 16, 2011

"I Am No Bird; And No Net Ensnares Me"

I felt the need to change the layout around here this weekend. I think my spring de-cluttering and reorganizing kick has reached my laptop too? Although it still hasn't reached our office...I'll get there sometime this year!

In the meantime, I've been burying my head in books. That's nothing new. But since I've been plowing through books left and right, I finally took the plunge into all the free Kindle books I've downloaded and had stored on my Kindle for months. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Edgar Allan Poe, all those classic authors I needed a break from after plowing through the last months of my degree.



Since there's no time like the present, I dug into one book I've had on my "to read" list for years. Jane Eyre. I'm 65% through according to my Kindle, and I'm loving it so far. It's a shift to turn from contemporary fluff to older novels, the pace is different, the word use is different, and the subjects are handled differently. But it's still worth reading and definitely worth enjoying!

My plan is to read one book from my "to read" list of classic authors and things I feel like I should know being a literature lover, then switch to one fluff or trashy romance book that gives me no new knowledge whatsoever but lots of escape from the world. That way, my husband won't complain too hard when I'm downloading new Kindle books ;)

Read anything good lately?

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently... and slowly... reading "The Help". my goal is to finish it before I give birth, but we'll see. so far, it's pretty good, but I have a huge interest in Black culture in America, so that could be why -- but it's worth looking in to. the last book I read was "Room: A Novel" and that was amazing (sorry if I already mentioned that one to you before).

    and I like the new layout! have you really been in Japan for over 3 months? gah. where does the time go?!?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...